Angie Le Mar – the multi award winning comedienne, Businesswoman, Speaker, Writer, Director, Producer and Talk Show Host – blends her own style of creativity and fun with out of the box thinking to bring her own brand of entertainment straight to her audience.
As one of Britain’s top comediennes, Angie has successfully harnessed the power of laughter to create inspiring and thought provoking productions. From stage to radio to TV to the written page Angie is a proven hit with a multicultural audience – male, female, young and old alike. She is equally at home with quick-fire comedy, acutely observed character sketches and solid acting performances.
As a sought after keynote speaker Angie has graced the stage locally, nationally and internationally with Schools, Colleges, Business platforms, Churches and an international mix of companies -UNESCO, America, Barclay Bank, Ernst & Young, Merrill Lynch – being inspired by her words, wit and wisdom.
Angie’s wide ranging career achievements, from being the first British performer to storm the legendary Harlem Apollo to making history in London‘s West End with the first ever sell out show by a black comedienne, not only enables her to deliver top quality performance and production values on stage, screen and the airwaves, but also to attract a large and loyal fan base along with greatly increased audiences wherever her work appears.
As an Entrepreneur, Angie’s aim is to inspire others to achieve against the odds and for two and a half years she ran the Angie Le Mar School of expression fuelled by the desire to show young people, not just show business, but the business behind it. It was a great success with a variety of special guests sharing their skills including Jeffrey Daniels from Shalamar who not only gave the children advice but also taught them the famous Michael Jackson moonwalk. Angie hopes to one day re open the school.
Straight to Audience Productions is the company Angie founded in 2001 to build on her reputation as a performer and writer and also on her expertise in direction, production and marketing, to serve the growing international market for vibrant, top quality black entertainment.
A guest appearance on ITV’s Loose Women in 2012 (similar to the US View) inspired Angie to create an all women panel TV show called Ladies Talk to set a multicultural balance in today’s media. The show had two successful runs, becoming an award winning show on the Vox Africa Network.
Osargenews.com provided Angie with the opportunity to expand on the success of Ladies Talk and create Ladies Talk International – Six Women. One Conversation. The World – for a global audience. 2013 Saw the return of An Audience with…but this time a sellout success in The Church, this has been recorded for broadcast in 2014. This brings Angie full circle, which is the name of her first book Full Circle due out in 2014
Angie’s list of credits is extensive and includes:
- Two star studded “Audience with…”
- The Vagina Monologues
- One woman show
- The video release of Angie Le Mar The Movie
- Producer of Will the Real Wayne Rollins Please Stand Up,
- Big Sister which used the Big Brother format as a vehicle to showcase up and coming young comics
- 26 episodes of Sharp Cuts a radio comedy/drama, which Angie wrote and starred in for Choice FM.
- The Angie Le Mar Show on Choice Fm, Britain’s Leading Urban Talk and Music station trebled the station’s listenership in the weekend morning slot and became the No.1 Saturday Talk Show in London, with the famous tagline ‘Do your Shopping on a Friday’ She attracted guests ranging from Stevie Wonder, Idris Elba, Danny Glover and John Singleton to India Irie and Maya Angelou, John Legend and many more.
- The Ryan Sisters, a web series which came about because Angie felt the need to see more portrayal of black women in starring sitcom roles, after creating and getting a great response, alongside actors such as Eddie Nestor BBC London and Ellen Thomas BBC2 sitcom REV,CH 4 How Clean is your House, Kim Woodburn to name a few. They are now in development for the full Series for 2014.
- BBC’s Grumpy Old Women, Must Try Harder, The Real McCoy, and her starring role in four successful series of Get Up Stand Up (Channel Four). She was the only broadcaster given an exclusive interview by Hollywood legend Whoopi Goldberg; and her coverage of Whoopi’s autobiography helped make it a UK best-seller.
- Loose Women ITV
- Channel Four Hit Drama Series RUN Starring alongside Lennie James, Mona Hammond.
- Angie makes a guest appearance in the movie Superbob, release later this year.
Angie’s list of credits is extensive and includes:
- The Brothers, a radio drama which attracted 40,000 and then became a sold out theatrical performance at The Hackney where it became the theatre’s fastest selling show in the history of the Hackney Empire bar Hamlet with Ralph Fiennes.
- Ground breaking Funny Black Women on the Edge- the unique sketch show that broke box office records at the Edinburgh Festival followed by two sell out runs at Theatre Royal Stratford East
- Do You Know Where Your Daughter Is? Which opened August 2006. Written and directed by Angie, Daughters featured a cast of teenage actors in a hard hitting and very topical drama focusing on the tensions of the mother daughter relationship and the often devastating consequences of peer pressure and street violence. This Play toured Nationally, Theatres, Schools and Colleges. Daughters ended the tour at the Edinburgh Festival in 2010 and became a critically acclaimed piece.
- Forty Written, directed by and starring Angie is the story of five women who discovered, that what was intended to be a celebration of old school ties, turned into a night of score settling, personal revelation and ultimately forgiveness.
- In My Shoes Angie’s first One Women Character based show, opened at The Soho Theatre in the West End before it toured.
Angie Le Mar is Britain’s First Lady of Black Comedy has won numerous awards including:
- Several BECA awards-for Best Stand Up Female and twice for Most
- The Men and Women of Merit award
- EFBWO – European Federation Of Black Women In Business 2002
- BEEAM Award 2007
- Windrush 65th Make History Be Inspired 2013
- 2 BEFFTA Awards 2010
- UNESCO Chair Award for Contribution to Women Empowerment.
- Black Comedy Nominations for Best Web series The Ryan Sisters
- Black Comedy Winner for Best Presenter for Ladies Talk Vox Africa
- MSV Awards Best Presenter Ladies Talk Vox Africa